It is getting to the end of the year (WOW…Already?), which gives us all a great opportunity to look back over what was accomplished in 2013, and start writing up plans for 2014! Hopefully you had a written game plan for 2013, and you can go back and see what you got done, what you missed and what extra things you decided to add on. If you didn’t, make sure you start working on one for 2014! Writing your goals down, and reviewing them regularly, is a great way to stay on task.
A yearly goal might seem like a little bit much for some people, but it really isn’t too bad. Of course, you may end up changing some of the goals as the months go by, but at least you’ll have a great starting point for the year. If you can stay focused, you’ll be able to accomplish much more than you would have otherwise believed. With that in mind, here is my 2013 recap and my initial outline for my 2014 goals.
2013 in Review
This was quite a crazy year for me professionally. I feel like I accomplished a lot, and also got side tracked on quite a few things. Overall, I am positioned pretty well for a successful 2014, and I exceeded my financial goals for 2013 (with still a month to go!). Here are some highlights:
- I retained all my regular clients from 2012 through this year
- I added several exciting new clients that I’m not working for on a regular basis
- Based on my estimates, I’ll beat my financial earnings goal for 2013 by about 15% (I can’t really share specific numbers publically at this time)
- I doubled my average price per word for new clients (without having any trouble getting additional clients)
- I wrote and released my first eBook/guide (Step-by-Step guide to building a niche site) and it is selling pretty well, with good feedback.
- I have gotten this site up and running, and am getting some good traffic at this time (always a work in progress)
Of course, nothing ever goes perfectly, and I feel it is important to identify problems and shine a light on them so you can avoid them in the future. Here are a few things that didn’t go quite according to plan:
- I started the year with a writing partner. We decided to go separate ways. He bought me out of that company, which prompted me to buy and start this site. Everything went smoothly with it, and my former partner and I remain on great terms, but it wasn’t the way I planned for it to go, so I’m listing it here.
- I was hoping to have created more new informational products this year. I only got one done so far, and I am working on the second one which I am hoping to be done with by the end of the year.
- I am slightly disappointed with my earnings from eLance this year. I didn’t give it sufficient time and attention. I did get some great clients and made some good money, but I was hoping to get double or even triple that. On a positive note, based on the amount of time I put into eLance, I actually earned more ‘per hour’ than I thought I would. This shows me that if I invest more time in it for 2014, it can be a bigger part of my overall income.
- TIME MANAGEMENT – Ok, here is my biggest disappointment for the year. I wasted a lot of time doing unproductive things (surfing the net, facebook, tv, games, ect). I was hoping to cut down on that this year more than I did.
- PROCRASTINATION – Another problem I continuously struggle with. Had I kept focused on tasks I needed to get done, I could have accomplished MUCH more than I did.
- I am not getting as much traffic from the search engines as I was hoping I would (on WriteForMoneyOnline)
- I never got around to getting my business registered and made legal. L
Overall, I’m quite happy with the year, but I still have A LOT of improvement opportunities for 2014. On that note, here is my first draft of my goals for 2014.
Goals for 2014 (Draft #1)
- Register my business – I really need to get an LLC or whatever makes most sense. I’ve been meaning to do this for quite some time, and I just keep putting it off.
- More Information Products – I want to create at least four HIGH QUALITY information products which I can sell online. Some will be about writing, and others will be completely unrelated. Most importantly, they all have to be VERY useful to those who buy them! With these, I’d like to get my income for the year to be about 20% from these products in 2014 (it was about 1% this year).
- Start another authority niche site – I’d like to come up with a new idea for a niche site. I’m leaning toward an Amazon affiliate site right now, but I’m not 100% sure at this point.
- Retain all existing clients
- Get New Clients
- Use eLance more effectively (maybe 15% of total income from eLance).
- Improve my SEO on this site. I get VERY little search engine traffic, which is quite disappointing.
- Write more guest posts on other people’s sites. This is a very powerful tool that I don’t take advantage of enough. This goes along with the SEO of the site.
- Eat Healthier & Exercise more – (Good health is good for business!)
- Continue to improve on my ‘work/life’ balance.
- Improve my use of social media to build relationships with visitors, clients and others!
- Double the amount I earn online from 2013 (ambitious, but achievable)
That’s about all I have for now. If you have a post like this, or you think you want to make one, please link to it in the comments! I’d love to see what other people have been working on, and what they are planning for next year! Thank you!