It has been a little over a week since I started my 3D printing pro niche site, so I thought I’d write up a quick update about it. Over the past week I’ve gotten up 13 posts, which is about how many I was hoping to have at this point. I’ve also put up Google AdSense, which hasn’t made me any money yet, but that’ is to be expected since I’m getting almost no traffic.
I was hoping to have this site set up a little better by now, but I’ve been incredibly busy with freelance writing, so I’m moving slow. That’s fine really, I’m looking at this as a longer term project anyway. As long as I’m putting up content regularly, I can work out the rest of the details as I go along. Specifically, I need to figure out how to improve the look of the site. It is a very simple white background, black text and little else right now. Since I’ve never used the blogger platform before, however, I can’t just fix it up without taking the time to learn how.
Promoting the Site
So far I’ve only promoted the site through Google+, Facebook and LinkedIn. On Google+, my posts automatically get shared there when I make them, so that is easy. On Facebook, I’ve shared my posts mostly on a writing group I belong to, and also on my personal wall for a few posts that I thought were very interesting. Finally, I’ve joined a few groups on LinkedIN that are all about 3D printers, so I’ve been sharing my posts there when I think of it (not every time).
There are quite a few promotional things I have in mind, but just haven’t done yet. They are:
- Guest Posts – I need to find some good 3D printing sites (or other related niches) and reach out to see if I can guest post there.
- Blog Commenting – I need to find some good 3D printing sites and comment on their blogs to get the back links.
- Improved Social Media – All I have really done is post some things to a few social media sites. I need to actively find where I should be posting them to get some better traffic.
Things I Need To Do
Of course, there are many things that I still need to do before I’ll be happy with this site. The following are a few of them that I have in mind (when I can find the time):
- Add a Mailing List – I want to be able to get people to sign up to receive updates from me when I make posts.
- Write reviews of 3D printers, with affiliate links to Amazon. (This is one of my long term monetization strategies).
- Improve the look and feel of the site.
- Hopefully get my site to rank in the Google News results, since I write quite a few posts that are news related on this site.
Hopefully I’ll be able to keep going on this site, and turn it into a good money maker. My biggest obstacle right now is that I’m so busy with other things that I have little time to work on it. Oh well, one day at a time.
If you have a moment, swing by the site and check it out HERE. I’d love to hear your thoughts and opinions on the site! Thanks! Michael