I am starting a new niche site, and thanks to a fellow writer (Misty Spears) who is also working on a niche site, I’ve decided to try to keep track of my actions here on this page, so other people can benefit from it. You can read about Misty’s progress HERE. My new niche site is about 3D printing, and 3D printers. I choose this topic because I have been very interested in this technology for years, plus it will be easy to find ways to make money with the site.
For tracking purposes, all my posts about this new site will be in the category “3D Printing Pro Niche Site.” You can see the actual site HERE. On this site, I plan on posting about the things I’m doing for the site and my reasoning behind the decisions I’m making. In addition, I’ll post some stats and other information as it happens. My hope is that this will help others learn about how to make niche sites, and also hopefully get some feedback from other people on how I can improve the site. So, here we go:
How I Got Started
I decided to make a new niche site because I’ve long promoted the benefits of making your own sites to other writers, but never really pushed it too much myself. I’ve had some niche sites in the past, and they still make me a few dollars here and there. The fact is, however, that I feel like since I setup my last one, I’ve learned A LOT about how to do it better. I’m hoping that this site will prove that what I’ve learned (and teach) is a great way to make money with niche sites.
I started the site on January 22nd, 2014. I’m using the blogger platform (.blogspot.com) because it is free and easy to use. I plan on making this site without spending any cash out of pocket (though if I feel that spending some money down the road will benefit the site, I will do that). In addition, I’ve been reading about blogger sites and how they can be an excellent way to quickly create high quality sites. While I plan on having this become more of a news/authority site, blogger can apparently also be GREAT for smaller micro-niche sites as well, so I wanted to become more familiar with the platform.
These are my goals as I have them now. I haven’t really thought them through as much as perhaps I should, so they will undoubtedly be adjusted over time.
- Have the site up with 20 posts by February 14th, 2014
- Always focus on quality posts that will actually benefit the reader
- Add in AdSense ads, and also Amazon Associates products to make money
- Have an average of 50 unique visitors per day by March 1st, 2014
- Make at least $50 per month (average) by July 1st, 2014
- Post current events and news, while also including my thoughts & opinions on the posts
How I Plan on Achieving my Goals:
The steps I plan on taking to achieve the above mentioned goals include:
- Keep the quality high. I plan on doing all my own posts, though I will allow guest posts, videos and other content from other people as long as it is of the highest quality.
- Keep up to date with the latest news and information in the 3D Printing world. I’ve already set up Google Alerts to help me with this.
- Post an average of 5 times per week at least.
- I will promote the site using blog commenting on related sites.
- I will promote the site by hopefully posting guest posts on other related sites.
- I will promote the site on social media pages (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, ect). For some of this I may use my existing accounts…I’m not sure yet.
One last thing I want to touch on with this post is what I’m doing for keyword research. Based on my knowledge of SEO (I’m no expert, but I follow the ‘science’ of it closely) I believe that focusing on keywords strictly for the sake of ranking is going to continue to be discouraged by the search engines. They will keep finding ways to identify sites that are overly focused on keywords. I’m using this site to ‘test’ my theory here.
With that in mind, I’m choosing not to focus on any specific keywords for this site. I know that this may come to burn me in the long run, but I think it will work out. I am using the Market Samurai program to do some research so I know what types of technologies and things are related to this niche, but I am not doing any of my writing or posting based on keywords. When I write headlines or content, or use tags or write meta descriptions, I’m doing it STRICTLY on what I think the visitors will actually benefit from. Hopefully this will work out well. We’ll have to see.
That’s all for now. I’ll try to post about this site here on WriteForMoneyOnline at least a couple times per week. I won’t be promoting these posts nearly as much as I do my normal ones (other than this first one) so if you want to follow along, feel free to stop by anytime.
Also, I’d love to hear your thoughts, opinions, suggestions, ect!