I’ve decided to try to try something new with this site. Each Sunday, I’m going to write up a quick ‘check-in’ post where I list the things I accomplished in the last week, as well as write about my goals for the upcoming week. At this point I plan on them all being just related to my writing business, though that may change at some point.
I’ll try to be as specific as I can, but due to the nature of this business, I can’t always provide details (non-disclosure agreements and things like that). Still, I think I’ll be able to provide sufficient information to at least make it valuable. Even if it is just a good exercise on my part for keeping myself accountable. I’d love to hear your comments about this, and any advice you might have on how to improve it.
So, without further ado…My first Sunday Check-in…
December 1st – December 7th
Last week I really feel like I had a great week. While I’ve been happy with my results with my online business up to this point, I had a few ‘ah-ha’ moments last week that I think will really help take me to the next level. The first, and most important for me was listing to a podcast from ‘The Smart Passive Income Blog’ by Pat Flynn. He is a great online marketer who shares all his information online. It’s not specifically about writing, but it is still very useful to me.
Anyway, I listened to episode 80, which can be found HERE. In it, Pat Flynn interviews the co-founder of the ‘lift’ app. This app helps you set goals, and keep track of them in an EXTREMELY simple way. As you may know, staying organized and focused are often problems for me, and this app has really helped so far. I’ve installed it on my iPhone and while it has only been a few days, I can really see how this will help me BIG TIME. I love it! Let me know if you have any questions about it or anything, I’d love to help you out.
Now, some specific accomplishments I’ve made this week:
- Finished December, week 1, articles for a client who orders 4-5 articles per week. These are about ‘lean manufacturing’ and I’ve been working with this guy for quite a while now. It is a really great relationship so far. I also got the assignments for this week from him.
- I had a phone ‘interview’ with a new client. She runs a social media marketing service, and wants me to do some blog posting and other writing for her clients. I am happy to do it, of course. She was in a bit of a pinch with a few assignments that she needed ASAP, so I wrote them up and delivered them. With a few revisions and edits, she and her clients seem very happy. Related to this client I…
- Set up a recurring order for 2 blog posts on each of the first two Monday’s each month (starting tomorrow).
- Got in contact with one of her clients in the medical industry who will need content for his website.
- Discussed a few other opportunities that we’ll be working on in the coming weeks.
- I completed 2 blog posts and 20 product descriptions for a client I’ve been working for a while now. These posts are published in my name, so you can check them out on http://go-preppers.com and visit the blog. The product descriptions are for the online store on that same site.
- I also got the thumbs up to write as many of the remaining product descriptions as I can, as quickly as I can (I was formerly doing 10 per week). This is awesome for me! There are at least 100 more that I know of, and I think there may be up to 700! I can’t mention the price per product, but when combined with my other work I am quite thrilled. Especially with Christmas coming up!
- I did a little bit of planning & outlining on my latest product. I’m somewhat behind schedule on this, but it is still moving along. It will be a guide on how you can go from zero to ‘full time’ income as a writer online. It has day by day instructions to help make it easy to take action.
- I applied for, and got hired for, writing a short eBook/report on the Paleo diet. I’ve written for this guy before about Paleo, and it went quite well. In addition, he offered me another report to write when this one is done.
- I wrote multiple posts for Performance Marketing Insider (you can see the site HERE). I write for that site almost every day, and it is published in my name so I can share it with you.
- I wrote three ‘long term’ articles last week. These are articles for clients that say they don’t really care how long it takes (within reason). In the past I’ve always struggled to work these in, which I feel put me at risk for losing the clients eventually. I’ve added these types of articles to my ‘lift’ app on my phone, which has really helped me stay accountable and get them done.
- I listened to 4 episodes of the Smart Passive Income pod cast, which is very informative and helps me learn more about making money online.
- I posted dozens of posts to forums like Warrior Forum, Digital Point and Work At Home Moms. These posts have my link in the signature, which helps to drive traffic to my site, as well as find new writing clients.
- Some of these were applying to job posts that people had out there.
- I applied for a total of 12 jobs on eLance (many still pending).
- I posted 7 new entries on this site. My goal was to do one per day, so I met it perfectly! I was really struggling to post content regularly on this site because I’m so busy with other stuff. Adding it into my ‘lift’ app has helped me make it a priority!
- I wrote a ‘how to’ post for a web hosting company I write content for a few times per month.
- I shared all my posts from this site on LinkedIn groups, which will help other writers who read them, and also help drive traffic to my site.
That’s all that I can remember. I’m guessing there was more that I forgot about. In my ongoing effort to stay more organized, I’ll try to make sure I get everything included in these types of check-ins whenever possible. Lets move on to my goals for this week:
December 8, 2013 – December 14, 2013 Goals
OK. It is difficult to make these plans because things can change based on what orders come in, and what types of things come up in my personal life. However, here is what I’ve got planned for now…
- Apply for a total of 21 jobs on eLance
- Make at least 15 posts on Warrior Forum (including applying for jobs there)
- Make at least 15 posts on Digital Point (including applying for jobs there)
- Make at least 5 posts on WAHM.com
- Write 7 blog posts here on WriteForMoneyOnline.com (one per day)
- Share all my blog posts on LinkedIn, Facebook (both my site page and groups I belong to), Google+, Twitter, Tumblr (most of this is somewhat automated.)
- Write 10 news posts for Performance Marketing Insider
- Write at least three ‘long term’ posts
- Finish this week’s orders for the lean industry order
- Finish two posts for Monday’s order for the new client
- Finish talking with new client and hopefully get an order from him.
- Write at least 50 product descriptions for the go-preppers site
- Write two blog entries for the go-preppers site
- Write days 3-6 for my new product
- Reach out to a client I haven’t heard from in a week or so to see if he needs anything
- Investigate oDesk further, both for applying for jobs myself and for my latest product
- Listen to 4 Podcasts to help me learn something useful for making money, improving writing, or running a business.
That’s all I’ve got planned for the moment. More will undoubtedly come up as the week passes by, and I’ll include it on next week’s check in. Please, let me know what you think of this post. What should be changed, added, removed, ect! Thanks for reading, now get to writing!