To Start a Personal Blog or Not?

blog

I’ve been thinking about starting a personal blog for quite some time now, but so far I haven’t pulled the trigger.  I do A LOT of writing for other blogs and clients and all sorts of other things, but that is really just for the money.  A personal blog would be more for fun, though I would try to earn some money from it as well of course.  In addition, I could use that blog as another place to send potential clients to show them my writing style.

The down side, of course, is that it would take some time and energy away from growing my writing business.  Even if I just write a few posts per week, that is time that I could have spent trying to find new clients, creating new products or other things.  Then again, I’ve heard of many people who started personal blogs and found that they could make a lot of money from them.

Anyway, enough rambling on.  I am writing this post mainly to try to get some input from other writers.  Do you have a personal blog where you write only about things you are passionate about?  Whether it is dedicated to a hobby you enjoy, or it is just a random blog filled with your thoughts and feelings about a variety of subjects, I want to hear about it.  Please feel free to post a link to your personal blog (if you have one) in the comments below.

In addition, if you’re willing, please answer the follo
wing questions about your personal blog:

• Do you make money from it?  If so, how?
  • Do you promote it at all, or just write and wait for people to show up?
  • What made you start your personal blog?
  • How often do you post to it?

Anything else you’d like to share about your thoughts or experiences with personal blogging, please share below as well.

My Personal Blog

If I choose to start a personal blog it would be mostly about religion and politics, which I know are two very popular (oversaturated?) subject.  Those are the two topics I could talk all day about though, so I feel if I’m going to do it, that’s what I’d be writing about the most. With that in mind, I’d love to write posts and then ‘debate’ in the comments with others who happen to read my work.  I’ve always enjoyed that process, and I think a blog is much more conductive to it than a Facebook post.

So…what do you think?

Comments

Hi Michael how are you, I think a personal blog by you would be good and fun filled. I have not started my own blog yet, but I want to as a freelance writers point of view I am not marketing myself properly. Any advice Michael I hope to hear from you soon.

Veronica.

Thanks!

So you want to start a blog about being a freelance writer? I think that could be great. I’ve enjoyed writing about it on this site so far, and it seems to be helping people. Marketing it is always the hardest part (for me anyway). Maybe read about some marketing methods, and write a series of posts about your attempt to market it, and how successful it is or is not?

Michael, my blog just went live last week. I have two posts up, and will do at least two post a week. I write primarily about clinical social work/mental health, criminology and criminal justice since these are my areas of specialty. My blog is tied to my main web site and is intended to provide examples of my writing styles to attract clients to my freelance writing business. I advertised the blog on all the social networks and will continue to do so whenever I make a new post. I don’t have a “tip jar” as some folks do; I hope to increase my revenue via my blog, web site and satisfied regular clients. I don’t blog just to hear myself write; it’s for marketing only. I read you often via LinkedIn and my advice is GO FOR IT.

Best,
    Margaret

Hi there Michael

I’ve recently started to monetize my personal blog and I honestly didn’t expect it to take off as it did. I try to write twice a day Monday – Friday and once a day over the weekend.

Weekend posts are ‘just for me’ – these are posts where I will never use sponsored content. Through the week however, I am happy to mix it up a bit.

I’m monetizing my blog by selling ad space (as you can see, I have a fair amount of advertisers this month), adding affiliate links, writing sponsored posts and I’ve added Google AdSense.

I also promote my blog by advertising on similar sites. It seems to work well for me. I also spend a lot of time networking. All worth it though.

Good luck with whichever route you choose to go down 🙂

Louise x

Confessions of a Secret Shopper
    Louise recently posted…Tag: I’m a Beauty Blogger, Get Me Out of Here | Part 2My Profile

I never understood why people felt the need to separate their blogs. I write at bonniegean.com, which is my personal blog where I share both business and personal topics.

It endears your audience to you… or so I’ve found out. Why feel the need to separate things? I guess it’s just a matter of preference. I wish you well with your choice. 🙂
    Bonnie Gean recently posted…Video Sunday – Episode #37My Profile

I thought about adding personal posts to this site, but it seems like it would be better to keep it focused just on my writing business. In addition, if I do a personal blog I would be writing a lot about politics, religion and things like that which, I’m sure, would be offensive to some people. I wouldn’t want my posts on them to drive away potential clients or anything. That’s my main concern, and why I would want to keep them seperate.

I really appreciate your input though!!

Gee, I’ve thought about creating a personal blog too but I’m just struggling with my time committments even now. I can see the sense in what Bonnie Gean says above. I do believe people like to get to know you online, I’m just unsure of what I’d write about as my interests are diverse (religion and politics gohand-in-hand as things not to talk about over dinner :)). Perhaps it’s about finding the balance of how much personal stuff to relate. When I think of the people I follow, one in particular gives a blow by blow of her daily life – usually with a positive message, and another gives little personal info but we get to see how his mind works. That’s sexy. As I waffle here, I think it’s about deciding what focus to take with the blog and how you want to reveal you. Good luck with your deliberations!
    Mel Day recently posted…Will 2014 Be The Year You Succeed As A Writer?My Profile

Thanks for the comment! Time management is another concern of mine. There are some weeks where I would have lots of time to focus on it, and others where I am already overwhelmed with just writing for this site and my clients. I do think it would be fun though. 🙂

Yeah. I know the personal blog would be fun. I’m also worried that it would be too much of a distraction, taking time away from my freelance writing and working on this site. Maybe I should put it off at least a few more months and then reevaluate my position.

I started a personal blog and the problem I had was keeping up with it. I have other niche sites that I own that I write for, plus my “semi personal” blog where I document my passive income activities, so my time is already pulled in all directions from writing those. When I had my personal blog, I would write maybe once or twice a month, then skip two or three months. Not good to keep readers around. I would love to have a personal blog again, but I know I won’t keep up with it, so I just try to sneak in a semi related blog post on a niche site or my income site when I can.
    Misty Spears recently posted…An Unknown Niche Site Project KickoffMy Profile

Yeah, that’s a big worry I have form myself as well. If I did a personal blog, I would want to get in at least 3-4 posts per week, which I am not 100% sure I would have time to do, without sacrificing on my other projects.

Thanks for the comments Misty!

I have two personal blogs, one of which: emilymorganwrites.com, has now become my work website as well. I have two day jobs as well as my freelance writing, so I don’t get a lot of time to promote my blogs through social media, though I have gone through marketing “campaigns” in the past. Now my energies are more focused elsewhere and I don’t mind if no one reads my posts much! I still post on link-ups and have a set of readers and that suits me fine. But I rarely post about my blogs on twitter, facebook or google+ any more, just don’t have the time. I went from 3 posts per week to 1 post per week on each blog and it has not harmed my stats at all. Blog readers get way too much information, so I suspect they are glad not to have to dedicate more time than once per week on me! I do make some money from my blogs, particularly my parenting blog, with sponsored posts and I have ads set up but I don’t make any money from them – again, something that requires time and effort. My blogs are more for me, not for money. Go for it!
    Mamagoingsolo recently posted…Fun with Playgroup WAMy Profile

Thanks for commenting!

Yeah, I keep going back and forth. If I do start one, I’ll need to put some good time into it at first, and I’m already quite busy.

I’m trying to work more efficiently though, so maybe that will help.