What Question do You Have?

QuestionsI’ve been working through my list of topics to write about for this site, and while I have some ideas on what types of things to cover, I’m always looking for more.  With that in mind, I thought I’d reach out to you, my readers (both old and new).  This site is really all about helping other writers either get started in their journey to make money online as a writer, or to expand their already successful business.

I would never suggest that I’m the foremost expert in this area, but I consider myself a successful online writer, and know quite a bit about this business.  In addition, if I don’t happen to know the answer to a specific question, I’m happy to do some research and see what I can find.  I’m always interested in learning more!

So, I’d love to reach out to all of you and ask you what types of things you’d like to see articles about on this site.  Do you have any specific questions you want answered?  Any general topics you’d like written about?  Even any ‘how-to’ guides you would benefit from.  Anything that you’d like to see, I want to hear about it.

I want to make this the #1 site for all aspiring (and successful) writers, and I know I can’t do that without input from you!  If you have a minute or two, please share any questions, comments or suggestions you have for this site in the comments below.  If you’d rather do it privately, please feel free to email me directly at Michael@writeformoneyonline.com.  I’ll be sure to get back to you as quickly as I can.

Comments

Michael, thanks for asking this question — it’s been on my mind lately. Unless my current project is an e-book, academic piece or web site copy, I generally write articles for clients who, then, post them to their web site. I’d like to ask you what distinguishes a good article from a good blog post. In a piece of, say 750 words, on providing care for your dog with pemphigus, what would differentiate my article vs. a blog post on the same subject?

Thanks,
    Margaret

Hi Michael, it’s nice to see an expert in writing care for the newbies, I’ve had a couple of articles published in Geek Magazine. I do that every once in a while for the lady in charge, but that’s how she likes it. I am a bit scared to go any further in case I am not good enough, that worries me, I would like to get more regular work, any advice would be welcomed. How about a guide for newbies how to get out there. Thanks for caring.
    Veronica.

If you’re getting published in a magazine (or even an electronic magazine) than you’re good enough to write just about anywhere. I’ve published some posts on how to get started with a few different sites, and how to find new clients. Maybe I’ll have to look into taking that information and putting it together as a more detailed guide for people just getting started. Great idea! What all would you like to see covered?

Hi Michael, thanks for the reply it was very encouraging. A lot of the jobs advertised want you to have a bachelor’s degree, or a university degree. Which I do not have, so where do newbies go for real jobs and not scams. I have been taken in a few times, and lost money I could ill-afford to lose. Maybe you can come up with lists of companies that are willing to take on entry-level writers, newbies. Thank you again for caring about the little guy, whose not there yet earning big dollars. Thank you.
        Veronica.

I have an associates degree in business management, but that’s it. It has never helped me get any writing jobs. 🙂 I find the vast majority of my work from private clients, not from companies. I look on Warrior Forum, digital point, eLance and places like that, and I’m almost never without a list of things I need to be writing.

As long as you’re a good writer, it doesn’t matter how much experience you have really. From your comments, it seems like you need to learn to market yourself better! If you don’t mind me asking, about how much do you typically make per word/article?

Hi Michael, I have never been offered a per word article, when I write for geek magazine I got paid $10 for 2 500 word articles. I once wrote for this guy on skype, he offered me $25 for 5 500 word articles which I had to stay up all night to write, after I had written them, and sent them to him I didn’t even get paid. Great eh! I have never been paid proper money for my articles.I would love to write articles for some-one who offers $2 a word for my articles, any advice? Thanks Veronica.

I’ve never gotten $2 per word, I think you have to focus on high-end copy writing to get that level. Or maybe writing for national magazines like Time or something. $10 for 2 500 word articles (or $25 for 5 500 word articles) is only about $.01 per word. That is quite low for a native English writer. Have you looked at some of my posts about where to find private clients? That’s what I’d recommend to start with. Figure out how much you feel your writing is worth, and stick with it. Don’t be afraid to tell people know when they offer less. I’d say you should demand at least $.03 per word ($15 per 500 word article), and most likely more. If there is ever anything I can do to help, let me know!

I’ve got a number of posts here that will walk you through where to look for private clients, and how to do it. If you have any specific questions on those processes I’d be happy to help!

Hi Michael,

what I’ve noticed since I tried to open up for more content writing online, i.e. E-lance etc. is that many customers demand native speakers. It is annoying that this still to this day (!) is what people seem to think defines a good writer- instead of someone who has actually studied the language. I feel like doors are closing, so I wonder if you have any suggestions about this?
    Should I lie and say that I’m a native speaker of English? Do you know of any websites where it would be easier to start than others? etc.
    I do write in my native language,Swedish, but it is extremely hard to find assignments/jobs- do you know any good Scandinavian or European website or maybe even American sites that’d want Swedish content?

Looking forward to hear your ideas!
    Magdalena

I have been thinking about writing some posts specifically for non-native English writers, I’ll add that to my list. For your specific situation, however, I think it is difficult. I have hired writers in the past to help me with a few things, and I always look just for native English writers. Not because I think that there are no good writers from other countries, or that I think that those in the US are automatically good writers. It is just a numbers game. i’d rather not go through a dozen non-native writers to find the one good one type of thing.

Judging from your comment alone, you seem to be a good writer. With that, I would suggest that you don’t try to hide the fact that you are non-native. I’d recommend that you write a little bit longer proposals to clients, so they can see that you can write. On eLance, for example, open with something like, “While I may not be a native-English writer, I have taken many classes which have helped develop my writing skills. In many ways, I am a more experienced English writer than most native speakers. As you’ll see in this proposal, I have a strong command of the language, and I guarantee your readers won’t be able to tell that I am from Sweden.”

Then go on to write a normal proposal. As far as finding sites which are looking for Swedish content, I can’t really help you there. Sorry!

I hope that helps a little, good luck!

Hey there Michael, and happy new year!
    Thanks for your posts, they’re very informative and helpful. Could you perhaps provide some tips on building a freelance career on resume writing? IE: what to charge (beginners versus experienced), getting certified (is it worth it/what are the benefits). It seems like its one of those things that will always be in demand, but with the invention of Google and hence many “samples” available out there, why turn to a professional if you can find a cheap Groupon offer instead?
    Furthermore, I’d like to know if there’s a solid future in this, and if skills of web content writing can help turning it into tuning up someone’s LinkedIn profile, for example. I’ve seen more and more project posts relating to this on Freelancer.com recently. Overall though, I’d definitely love to know more about resume writing and how to improve my skills.
    Thanks!

I will try to look into resume writing as a business. I have seen a few services that look like they are doing well. I’ll add this to my list of things to write about!

Thanks for the comment!

Just scrolling through the comments on this post I’m finding an amazing amount of useful information. I just purchased a domain name for a site I’d like to launch this year as a place to market myself and my writing. Eventually I’d like to expand into site design as well. I’d love to read some more about building a reputation and promoting yourself. Thank you for sharing your wisdom!
    Jen recently posted…Romantic Dinner at Home – Meat and PotatoesMy Profile